Southeast CARE Coalition
The Southeast CARE Coalition is a broad, grassroots, community-based alliance that was created in 2011 to address environmental concerns in the Southeast Community of Newport News, Virginia Our efforts are guided by five core principles:
- For our purposes, “environment” refers to the natural (air, water, land), cultural (ethnic identity and history of community), social (existing and lacking public services), economic (local business, health care cost), and political (local, state, federal) components of the Southeast Community, Newport News, VA.
- There is a relationship between exposure to toxic pollutants and certain chronic diseases (e.g. asthma, and cardiovascular) experienced by residents of the Southeast Community of Newport News, VA.
- A scientific understanding of toxic pollutants in the community, local sources of such pollutants, and associated health risk from exposure will lead to strategies that increase awareness and generate action that reduces toxic pollutants, exposures, and risk for residents of the Southeast Community of Newport News, VA.
- Youth participation is critical to the success and sustainability of environmental efforts and actions in the Southeast Community of Newport News, VA.
- Sustainable action will lead to policy decisions that regulate toxic emissions and enforce local, State, and Federal compliance in the Southeast Community of Newport News, VA.